Monday, August 15, 2011

The Wanderlust Chronicles...

wan·der·lust - (noun)  a strong, innate desire to rove or travel about

Those who know me well will tell you that I have suffered from this condition for most of my life.  I've been a squirmer for as long as I can remember, and I get notoriously antsy if I'm sitting in one place, one position, or one time zone for too long.  My brother and I used to make a regular habit of wandering about and finding the best of the clothes-rack hiding spots in the mall, which makes shopping trips a lot more fun when you're little.  It also makes for a very angry mom.  When I was 4, my family lost me at Sea World because I stopped to tie my shoe without telling anyone and then scampered off in the wrong direction once I stood back up, nearly giving my parents his-and-hers heart attacks.  I was frequently scolded in kindergarten for meandering about the classroom to look at our awesome classroom treasure chest books when I'd finished my work early.  My 4th grade teacher used to live in Japan, and I lived for the days when she'd bring in her old kimonos and tea sets to school and tell us about when she lived there.  My favorite TV show when I was younger was Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?, and I still firmly believe that, had I ever actually been on that show, I'd have kicked some serious geography ass.  But I digress...

Then, somehow, when we weren't paying attention, we all started growing up.  And evidently, when you grow up, it's expected that you'll do "normal" things, like jump straight into some boring suit-job immediately after you graduate from college and get married by your 24th birthday.  Of course, these things are fine and fabulous...for some people.  As it turns out, though, I am just not cut out to be "some people."  I suppose I always knew this about myself, but the path my life has taken post-college has really cemented this belief for me.

After about a year of trying the "normal" thing, I escaped a boring law firm job for the coolest UGA job ever.  I made some awesome friends, got to travel all over the place, and I got to stay in Athens for an extra 4 years, sans the school work!  I left that job almost 700,000 Delta Skymiles later, having crossed 46 of the 50 states off of my list, and said to myself, "If I don't leave now, I may stay in Athens forever," so off I went to grad school.  In London.  A bit severe, I realize, but it was a great experience.  Scary, for sure, but I'd do it again.  Plus, if you go to an international school, you don't have to take the GRE.  Bonus  :)

(Sidebar:  If you're bed-ridden and/or severely bored and in need of things to waste your free time on, you can find my old London blog here; and if someone can figure out how to link it to my current Blogger profile, I'll give you $5.  Seriously.  Thus far, it seems to be impossible...)

So I came back to Atlanta after my year in London and have been doing the responsible, grown-up, job-related-to-your-field-of-study thing ever since then, but the wanderlust-ing hasn't waned.  Risking the frequent reaction of "You're going where??," I take advantage of my globe-trotting opportunities wherever they turn up.  I will finish my state list, and I'm determined to conquer all 7 of the continents before I die; current score -- 5 down, 2 to go.  The thought of the boring suit-job still makes me cringe, and I'm probably about as close to getting married at 30 as I was at 24.  But I'm ok with all of this.  Why?  Because I'm free to wander as I please...and I think this is a beautiful thing.  Maybe one day, I'll find a suit-job that allows me to roam freely, and if I'm lucky, I'll find a better half who is game to go gallivanting alongside me.  Until then, I'll just be living my life the best way that I know how:  GO.  SEE.  DO.  That's the only way I can figure that you'll ever truly and fully experience what the world has to show and teach you, and it's been obvious since the days of Carmen Sandiego that I am someone who needs to get out there and see it.  I will never be happy otherwise.  I don't want to be one of those old people who says, "I wish I would've done X, before it was too late."  I want to be one of those hilarious old ladies with the quirky houses brimming with exotic treasures, telling all of the crazy stories.  The ones that make you think, "This stuff can't possibly all be true...can it??"

Anyway, bla bla bla.  I say all of that as background to say, off I go, on another adventure!  Come this Thursday, work is shipping me off to Kenya for "2-3 months," and while I have little idea of what I'll actually be doing while I'm there, I'm pretty stoked about it.  I'm in dire need of a new professional challenge and a bit of a distraction from life as I know it, so this opportunity comes at a good time, aside from the minor detail that I'm now missing my baby sister's birthday, half of football season, Journey/Foreigner, and Taylor Swift.  Don't judge me.


Many of you have asked for a way to keep tabs on what I'm up to while I'm gone, so rather than trying to keep up with a big email list which I'm sure I'll neglect, feel free to follow my blog for what I hope are funny stories and pictures galore.  I'll do my best to be diligent with the updates, and since prior to departing, I know all of one person in Kenya, I don't think my booming social life will be a big hinderance.


I land in Nairobi on Friday night and should have a phone number and internet situated on Saturday.  Should.  After all, as they say, T.I.A.  This is Africa...


Until then, be well.  I wish you all happy wanderings  :)

7 comments:

  1. Faith---I'll miss you so much! Please have lots of fun, take lots of pictures, and be safe! ILY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY Faithy is back! I've missed your blogging. Can't wait to see pics and hear all about this adventure.

    Don't let those bugs bite you. Seriously. Don't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you. And for me as I can live through your adventures now that you have this blog!

    I also have a good friend in Kenya (husband is in State Department) and she LOVES it there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a website (Fiverr.com) where people will do exactly what you need ... for $5.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH. MY. GOSH. I'm loving this blog already. Not half as much as I love you though sweet Faithy. I'm going to miss you terribly. "2-3 months" is a long time.

    Just promise not to fall in love with some fabulous Kenyan (?) or some equally fabulous American over there and decide to stay.

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faithy, your bio is awesome and I love reading what you write. You are so cool. I love you and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Momma E. is, as always, so very proud of you and your spirit. We will miss you so much, but we will try our best to win at trivia AND keep Neal in line (both difficult, one near-impossible). What will we do without our "scribe". Happy Adventuring--I luv you lots!

    ReplyDelete