Saturday, August 27, 2011

Kenya Dig It?

Well, I don't know if the new digs will be gracing the pages of Southern Living anytime soon or anything, but I will say that they're better (and bigger) than I'd expected...


Kidding.  This is Aaron and Kaarli's house.  Pretty sweet, eh?  Guess being an ex-pat in Kenya for 5+ years has its perks.  I'm also told that you can (and are almost expected to, or it's considered insulting because you're "not employing Kenyans") get a live-in nanny for around $400 US/month and a full-time housekeeper/cook for about half that.  I'm sorry...WHAT?

All's not storybook-perfect though.  You still have to have guards, a gate at your driveway, bars on your windows, a mandatory panic room in every house, and this cozy stuff...


So, now that I've successfully set you all up for utter disappointment...I give you my humble abode:

Living room & dining table nook, from whence I
usually compose this masterpiece -- Note the rockin
Masai painting thing I got the other day!

Kitchen -- And yes, those are 2 giant water bottles next to
the sink; you can't drink the tap water here, so I generally go through
about one of these a day.  Not counting the water cooler
water I drink at work.  Is this normal?

Bedroom -- Yes, that is a mosquito net; no, it's not necessary in the city.

Closets -- Two of them!!

Bathroom -- Nothing terribly interesting to report here, except...

Who knew they had rain showers in Kenya??

My building also houses what Aaron exclaimed on our tour must be "the biggest gym in Nairobi!," so I suppose I'm pretty lucky in that regard.  They teach spinning, yoga, bootcamp, & core/stability classes every day, so if I can just escape from the office in time to get there, I'll be a happy girl!  Of course they also have all of the normal cardio/weights equipment, so...I basically have no excuse but to come home skinnier and more toned.  Crap...forget I mentioned any of this.  The bonus: the gym also has a spa part, where a massage costs a whopping $14-ish US.  This is exceptionally good news for me, since I had to cancel 3 months worth of massage appointments just before coming here.  Waaaaaaaaaa!

Big news tomorrow...Kenyan animal encounter(s) #1, plus Emily's here!  WIN!!

5 comments:

  1. A. I want a mosquito net. Seriously. How whimsical is that.

    B. I'll take one of those two hundred buck maid/cooks.

    C. LOVE your apartment. Don't take this the wrong way, but that's a hellofa lot nicer than I thought it would be. And I just love that one look and I can tell Faith lives there already. Guess having 5 FLB roomie years under my belt pays off. And makes me miss you!

    Finally, you MUST snap a pic of that Nairobi panic room before this is all said and done. I will not forgive you if you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry. 4 years. Wishful thinking.

    And "Kenya Dig It." I forgot to call you out on your extremely clever (only the slightest bit corny) title that I of course LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I was all over that "Kenya Dig It." As clever as it was corny, for sure.

    Your place looks/sounds more than adequate, and I am more anxious than ever to hear about the day to day stuff.

    Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your digs are awesome! I love that bed...very romantic...hope you can put it to use (wink, wink). Sorry mom and dad Berrier if you're reading this.

    I so wish I had an extra load of cash to spend and no job so that I could come and see you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pad is much prettier than I imagined. Did I tell you when we stayed in Jamaica we had a maid, butler, and house "mom" (who was there 24/7). They also considered it "normal" to have hired help. They made a whopping $20 per WEEK! Needless to say, we tipped them well when we departed since they didn't have work lined up for weeks after.

    I miss you so much! Wish I could scoot over there for a quick visit!

    ReplyDelete